Wednesday 13 May 2015

DragonsDream - TIO - yellow and texture

Already it's time for another challenge from my team-mates at the DragonsDream team - this fortnight, Silvia is really challenging us with yellow and texture.  Yellow - such a bright, spring-like fresh colour.. Not one I use a lot of in my work (and definitely haven't got the colouring to wear it!) but here goes...

 the final tag.  Stamps by Paperartsy (words, and the bird) and Stampotique (on the background)
 I started by opening my tub of Heavy Gesso (Prima's) and applied some with a spatula to the tag, I didn't want to spread it out too thin or completely cover the tag.

I dabbed the spatula into the gesso to raise the levels and produce the bumpy texture you see..  I left it to dry on it's own, overnight.

 so, then for the yellow. I firstly took one of my recent purchases, the DecoArt paint - this is the Americana multi-surface satin paint, in Canary.  LUSH!  I dripped a little onto the tag, and spritzed with water, to get dripping going on..

Repeated until I got the look I wanted (still no idea where the tag was taking me at present!)



 Decided to ink up a stamp I hadn't used, the script bird by Sara Naumann for Paperartsy. Stamped it in black archival ink, onto a piece of cotton fabric.

Dried it, then  cut it out, before I painted it with Cherry Red Fresco paint, slightly watered down (mainly to aid the spread of paint on the fabric) - on the back of the cotton.

When dry, turned it over and painted a little more on the front, and sealed the whole thing with Fresco Matt Glaze, mostly to seal the edges so they wouldn't fray.


Took the French script stamp by France Papillon for Stampotique (also new to me) and Saffron archival ink, stamped randomly over the tag, using a piece of paper to mask areas I didn't want to stamp on.

Punched a circle from a piece of card, stamped take flight on it (Sara Naumann, same set as the bird) and using pop dots mounted it on the tag, over a few strands of fusible fibres (without fusing them!!)

A bright yellow ribbon finishes this off.

So, Silvia, a tough colour to pick but I loved it and am pleased with how it's turned out - so a big thanks!

Hope you'll pop over to Dragons Dream to see the other gorgeous tags, and we'd love to see you joining in - don't forget to use at least one real (rubber) stamp on your tag.  Thanks for looking!

11 comments:

massofhair said...

You have rocked the yellow Helen, not a colour i like to use either. Wonderful textures and fantastic stamping onto fabric :-)

brenda said...

Looks like you've got all the ingredients in there Helen and loving the funky bird.

B x

Julie Lee said...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one challenged by Silvia's choice of yellow, Helen! I just love the way you created texture and the Sara Nauman script bird looks so pretty on its springlike daffodil yellow background. A gorgeous tag. xx

Deborah Wainwright said...

I love this Helen your little birds pops of the gorgeous background. I'm not a yellow person either so I think you did a fab job xx

Gabrielle said...

How can you say you don't like yellow when you made such a fabulous tag?! You clearly need to embrace the brights lady! Love the texture too - didn't really think to do that and now I feel a bit daft! I love this lots and lots - you're one talented gal!

craftytrog said...

Fabulous textures Helen!

catherine said...

Fabulous tag Helen and really love the background.
x catherine

Etsuko said...

Stunning tag and brilliant yellow. I love the Sara's bird image too. xxx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

I'm really sorry that I haven't been around for weeks. I'm not very often at my computer, not many blog posts on my blog and no blog hopping.
Your tag looks fabulous, love the birdie.

Annie said...

Yellow has been a great challenge color. Your background looks great. Wonderful texture and that bird is super adorable.

Words and Pictures said...

Fab gesso texture, and I love the fabric bird - bold and bright and a great take on the recipe.
Alison xx