Sunday 11 May 2014

PA challenge - Lucy's house

Hello, and welcome to another PA designer inspired project.  This week, I was completely WOWed by the very talented Lucy Edmondson's wooden house with coloured grunge paste and had to use some of her ideas on another project.  Not a house, as I didn't have time.. there was a Eurovision twitter party to get ready for last night!!

Anyhow, I did have one of those cute little papier mache books - I have had  it for absolutely ages.  Lucy showed us a neat trick for using stencils in small places, by using tissue paper... just brilliant. I used the larger of the two, (no point in setting too big a challenge for myself, eh?!)

I've gone for Dusty Teal and Amethyst as my main colours but followed Lucy's methods which you can see on the Paperartsy post


 this is the cover mark 1- I just stencilled paint without grunge paste on the tissue and glued it to the cover.. you'll see later I changed this
 the spine, with buttons painted in the same colours
I decided the cover looked too flat, so I laid the stencil over the painted tissue and added grunge paste mixed with Dusty Teal, and doodled some dots on with white pen (my Sharpie) I also stencilled the Secret Garden from the same stencil, mixed with Amethyst.
would have been more sensible to think about the back before I did the textured front, used Mini 44 and archival inks
and the inside, with my Lucy-stencilled grunge paste on tissue.  Cut the tissue to fit both sides, and voila!!  I am really pleased with how this came out, thanks so much Lucy!!

Entering this to the Paperartsy challenge here (and this IS my final one, I promise!) and to Hels' Sunday Stampers "Lily the PINK" challenge here

21 comments:

margaret said...

Lovely Helen what a good idea, the colours are great go so well with the buttons Margaret

Julie Lee said...

I love these 'book' boxes. This looks beautiful. Lucy's tip for using tissue is really adaptable and you've created something so pretty with it! Hope the Twitter party was fun! I ended up hosting a rather hectic one with unexpected as well as expected guests! Julie Ann xxx

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is so fab, Helen! I love those new colours, don't have any of them yet! I think the book box was the perfect choice as the tissued seed pods inside look so lovely and so textural. Thank you so much for being such a good sport when you are always so busy. Your work is beautiful.

Lucy x

sam21ski said...

Oooh fab idea to use a book as a base, love your colours choices and how you've used the buttons down the spine - lovely

Sam xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is stunning. I know you have a ton of supplies, but I also know you aren't afraid to use them. This book is stunning and the colors are very spring oriented.

Craftyfield said...

It's brilliant and works just as well on a book as a house.

Hazel Agnew said...

What a darling little book and what an adaptive idea Lucy came up with. I really love it Helen. X

Etsuko said...

Beautiful project! Colours and idea is fab.

massofhair said...

Great book, the pink pods look amazing:-) x

Jules said...

Great idea using this little book. It looks great and love what you have done inside :)

Darcy Marshall said...

ohh this is gorgeous, one of my fave things you have made, love it.

Krisha said...

This turned out fantastic! Lucy is quite creative for sure. I did go and read her post, will have to give that a try for those tight spaces.
Thanks for sharing, have a great day

Words and Pictures said...

Delightful take on Lucy's fab inspiration... love the colours (going to have to give in to the Limited Edition before it's too late!), and the buttons on the spine are so cute! Hope you enjoyed the Euro-twittering!
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

That's so lovely Helen! The colours are gorgeous with the white & I love the inside.

Sarah B said...

lovely - these little books are fiddly to decorate so I must have a go using tissue - colours are really bright and fresh xx

Carmen said...

Gorgeous! Loving that texture and the colours are really lovely!

Unknown said...

Lovely fresh colours, great book x

craftytrog said...

Ooh! That's gorgeous! xx

Hels Sheridan said...

Uh oh Helen.. you BAD girl! showing me those new colours just when my need-to-buy-stash-right-now-otherwise-I-can't-breath button has just been pressed (teehee... ) LOVE what you made, the white background and the stencilling looks fabulous...I must dash, I have paint to buy! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

Unknown said...

Oh Helen, I LOVE what you have created here... it is sheer delight.... love it... Love, Light and Peace... Bonnie

Sue said...

Helen this is brilliant, I love these colours on the white, and they look perfect on the book xx