Sunday 24 March 2013

Playing with Grunge Paste

My blog/twitter buddy Sam recently asked me if I'd played any more with the new Paperartsy Grunge Paste.  Today I had a chance to do just that.

I had a page in my Moleskin journal on which I'd painted off some 'spare' Eggplant fresco paint.  I took my Grunge Paste and using a palette knife, stirred it to loosen it, you get icing-type drippability and I duly dripped and draped the paste randomly over the page.

I added some fresco paint in Claret and a smidge of Beach Hut, partly over the grunge paste.. and added a bit of Snowflake white with some cut and dry foam.








Decided this didn't allow the texture of the grunge paste to show enough, so I added some more...

I wanted some stamping on the page too, so used the music score from the Eclectica set by Sara Naumann (ESN07)


This was really just an experiment with the paste, so it's not in my view a "proper" journal page, but I quite like it!!








But I wanted to do something else with the Grunge Paste too.  As you may have seen last time when I used it, you can colour the paste with the Fresco paints.  Here, I took a Maya Road scalloped frame, and mixed on the craft mat, some London Bus Fresco paint, with the grunge paste... I dolloped the resulting pink mixture over the frame, trying to clean the edges to allow the scallops to show (I can't ice cakes neatly either!!!) and then patted the palette knife into the paste to get some texture in the paste.
I went for the smaller tulip  stamp by Lin Brown  (ELB03) and the stalk, stamping it so the stem lines up under the tulip head...



For the tag, I used Fresco paint in Stone (this is a fabulous background colour, I love it!!) and dry brushed Hyde Park randomly (sparingly) over the top.





9 comments:

gayle said...

What fun! Love to have new things to play with :) love the texture!

sam21ski said...

OMGosh Helen, WOW!!!

I love the dripability on the journal page and then in complete contrast how you've fixed it into a moulded frame and it looks so sturdy (not sure about the colour though - lol).

Shall defo be getting some from AP - a big thank you for experimenting with it and showing your results.

Sam xxx

sam21ski said...

PS - Forgot to say, stone is now on my list too - lol

Sam xxx

Julia Dunnit said...

Well you ']ve done all the R& D now..it's paid off..the page is dreamy and the scallops are scallop-y! Nice coours too - bet there isnt a Fresco paint that you havent got now!

Words and Pictures said...

Great to see your experiments and results - haven't tried the Grunge Paste yet, but you make it look like another necessity!!
Alison x

PaperArtsy said...

I've been playing this afternoon too with my GP. So far got lots of bits that need painting now!!

Virginia said...

Oh I love the texture on the little frame - looks fabulous Helen!

Lori said...

Very cool! Grunge paste? Did I know about this? lol...looks fabulous to play with, and great results! Love your tag too!

Alison said...

Fantastic results Helen! Must get me some of that paste! x