Thursday 29 July 2010

Play Date Cafe Challenge 40 - The Big Apple

This week at the Play Date cafe, the challenge is a colour splash challenge - to use black and white and a splash of green.

I was going to do something completely different on this chip shape, until I remembered I had this PSX stamp from years ago. I loved PSX (Personal Stamp Exchange) stamps and was very sorry when they ceased trading. Fortunately I have quite a few....(for my regular followers, that won't come as a shock!)


I painted the chip white, and stamped the image of New York in black.  It is slightly too large for the apple (I am sure you're with me now!) and I thought about stamping it on a piece of paper and sticking that on, but decided to stamp direct to the chip. I cut the admission ticket from the embossed image I rejected, and added that to the bottom.  The splash of green comes from some Inka Gold paint in a luscious green - watered down and applied with a wet finger - to highlight the chip shape, I thought it looked quite apple-coloured!

I mounted the apple onto a piece of black spotty paper on a 5x5 inch card.  I am sending this to someone but I can't say who yet as they may be watching!!

12 comments:

Sarah Anderson said...

How fun is this Helen?!! I love it! A great play on this shape, and a wonderful use of the play date colours

Neet said...

I agree with Sarah - this is a fun card. Love how you have used the "Big Apple" as your background.

Julie Ranae said...

Wonderful entry for this challenge!
The good news is you can find PSX stamps on Ebay quite frequently : )
So glad to have you in The Cafe once again!

Carmen said...

Really fun card helen :P Great for the challenge :P

Elaine said...

Love the Big Apple/New York theme. It's great!!

Suzanne C said...

Fantastic Idea! Love the big apple in the apple! :) Thanks for playing in the PDCC this week!

Lori said...

Stellar idea using the apple for the NY stamp, total creativity! Love it!

Tracy Evans said...

Very clever the way you have used the BIG Apple. Great with the stamped image and the subtle green works wonderfully. Tracy Evans x

Lisa Somerville said...

Great use of the apple shape! Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

What a clever idea! And that shading makes the splash just right--great job! Thanks for joining in the fun at the PDCC!

Unknown said...

Such a pretty and clever creation! Thanks for playing with the Play Date Cafe!!

Ruby said...

What a fun card, and great use of the colours too! I have a few (well actually a few more than a few) of PSX stamps going way back! Thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC! A great entry!